.comment-timestamp {display: none;visibility: hiden;}

Purple and Gold Pitcher

 This is one of those projects that makes you excited to to get to each new step. This pitcher started out on the wheel. As the clay was pulled up it was formed into a vase with a slight pot belly. After drying out for a night the spout was then cut from a slab that had been rolled out flat and thin. A hole was cut into the body of the vase and the spout was applied over the hole. The final step in the building process was to hand pull the handle.

Then comes the slow waiting period of drying out. Each day I'd go out and pick up the pitcher to check on its progress. The week just crawled by. Finally it was bone dry and very fragile. Time to get it into the kiln for a bisque firing.

When it came out of the kiln there was nothing but joy as I looked it over. The piece was going to be wonderful. That's when I turned my eyes to the glaze shelf- What glazes was this pitcher crying out to be covered in? I knew I wanted the spout to accented. So i chose Coyote's Red Gold. The inside was glazed with Amaco's Blue Rutile. For the exterior body I did Coyote's Pansy Purple and then around the rim I added Coyote's Pam's Green glaze over the Pansy Purple. This cause the glaze around the rim to become a wonderful blue.



Detail of the glaze near the spout.






No comments: